For full functionality of this site it is necessary to enable JavaScript. Here are the instructions how to enable JavaScript in your web browser.
    Font Size     

Building Inspectors

Building Inspectors

  • Online Permitting

  • Building Permit applications and other business-related forms will only be accepted through our online system; no walk-ins will be allowed.
  • Submit an Application
  • Quick Guide to OpenGov Permitting software
  • OpenGov System Key Features:
    24/7 online (or in-person) submittal of permit applications and associated plans and acceptance of credit card payment

    24/7 online access to project status for customers

    24/7 online access to schedule inspections and check inspection status

    Customer notifications whenever project advances to the next stage in process.
  • Schedule an Inspection

  • All inspections are scheduled by email or calling the individual inspector. All request are typically responded to that same day or the following business day.
  • Building Inspector: Mark Menard
    (978) 538-5787 Email
  • Building Inspector: Dan Terenzoni
    (978) 538-5736 Email
  • Electrical Inspector: Shawn Mahoney
    (978) 538-5789 Email
  • Gas/Plumbing Inspector: Paul Foukas (978) 538-5791 Email
  • About Us

  • Our mission is to constantly strive to improve the department and make the changes necessary to provide great customer service to the public. The building department is mandated to ensure the safety and welfare of the general public by the enforcement of all Massachusetts State Building codes and local ordinances.

  • Staff

  • Building Commissioner: TBD
  • Building Inspector: Mark Menard (978) 538-5787 Email
  • Building Inspector: Dan Terenzoni (978) 538-5736 Email
  • Electrical Inspector: Shawn Mahoney (978) 538-5789 Email
  • Gas/Plumbing Inspector: Paul Foukas (978) 538-5791 mail
  • Weights & Measures Inspector: James Collins (978) 538-5788 Email
  • Zoning Board of Appeals: Carla McGrath (978) 538-5792 Email
  • Secretary: Kelly Rydzewski (978) 538-5786 Email
  • Zoning Board of Appeals

  • 2023 Meeting Dates & Deadlines
  • Meeting Minutes
  • Rules of the Zoning Board of Appeals
  • Under Massachusetts General Laws, Chapter 40A, Zoning Ordinances or by-laws shall provide for a zoning board of appeals (ZBA). The ZBA provides for the ability to apply for a variance or other relief from the Zoning Ordinance. An applicant may file for a variance or an appeal from an administrative decision.

  • The ZBA is also the reviewing and permit granting authority for comprehensive permits filed under the Anti-Snob Zoning Act (Chapter 774 of the Acts of 1969), Massachusetts General Laws, Chapter 40B, sections 20-23. The purpose of that act is to facilitate the development of affordable housing in Massachusetts.

  • Zoning Board Members

  • Frances Bisazza Gallugi, Chair 582 Lowell St., Peabody, MA Email
  • Stephen M. Zolotas, Vice-Chair 10 Mansfield St., Peabody, MA Email
  • Keith Slattery, Secretary 11 Albert Rd. Peabody, MA Email
  • Barry Osborne 3 Calas Cir., Peabody, MA Email
  • Chris Gilbert 55 Granite Rd, Peabody, MA Email
  • Julie Picardi, Alternate 22 Benevento Cr., Peabody, MA Email
  • Special Permits

  • Search By Street Name
  • Frequently Asked Questions?

  • Anyone seeking to construct, alter, or demolish a structure or install a sign must first obtain a building permit from a building inspector at the Inspectional Services Department. The building permit must be obtained before the start of any work and must be prominently posted at the job site.
  • Building permits are issued to construction supervisors licensed by the State of Massachusetts. The State license is only valid for work involving structures of less than 35,000 cu. Ft. As an exception to this requirement, building permits are also issued to homeowners doing work on one or two unit dwellings where they reside or intend to reside. It is noted that when homeowners are issued building permits, they may be liable for contractors working on their property and they are not eligible for protection under the provisions of the Homeowners Improvement Contractor Law. For these reasons, Building Department encourages homeowners to have the building permit taken out by a properly licensed contractor.
  • These permits are issued to Massachusetts licensed plumbers, gasfitters, or electricians. Permits are issued in accordance with Massachusetts General Law (MGLs); MGL 143-3L in the case of wiring permits and MGL 142-13 in the case of plumbing and gas permits.
  • Work must be started within six (6) months of the date the permit is issued. Once started, the work must be progressed continuously to completion. The City Noise Ordinance does not permit construction activities prior to 7:00 a.m. (9:00 a.m. on Saturdays and holidays) and after 6:00 p.m. Sunday work is not permitted.
  • Yes. The permit shell be deemed to have been abandoned six months after the date of filing, unless such application has been diligently prosecuted or a permit shall have been issued; except that the building official shall grant one or more extensions of time for additional periods not exceeding 90 days each if there is reasonable cause and upon written request by the owner.
  • For single or two family houses, a deck located more than 30 inches above grade must have a guardrail of at least 36 inches in height. Handrails must be located at a height of from 34 inches (min) to 38 inches (max). If the guardrail also serves as the handrail for open sided steps, the minimum height is 34 inches. Guardrails for uses other than 1 or 2 family structures must be a minimum if 42 inches.
  • The maximum of 2 layers can be installed on a roof (Massachusetts State Building Code, 780 CMR sections 3609.10.3).